10 Rules of Emotional Health
- Take care of yourself. Take time to relax, exercise, eat well, spend time with people you enjoy and activities that you find pleasurable. When you are at the best, you can be the best that you can be in relationships.
- Choose to find the positive in life experiences instead of focusing on the negatives. Most clouds have a silver lining and offer opportunities for personal understanding and growth. When you accept that things are difficult and just do what you need to do then it doesn’t seem so hard.
- Let go of the past. If you can’t change it and you have no control over it then it is time to let it go. Don’t waste your energy of things that you cannot control. Forgive yourself and others.
- Be respectful and responsible. Do what you know is right for you. Don’t get caught up blaming others.
- Acknowledge and take credit for your success and accomplishments. Celebrate your hard work. Avoid false modesty.
- Take the time to develop one or two close relationships in which you can be honest about your thoughts and feelings.
- Talk positively to yourself. We talk to ourselves all day long. If we are saying negative and fearful things we will feel negative and fearful.
- Remove yourself from hurtful or damaging situations. Temporarily walk away from a situation that is getting out of control. Give yourself some space to problem-solve a positive and healthy approach to dealing with it.
- Be flexible. Accept that life is about choices and is always bringing change to you which requires adjustment.
- Have a plan for the future. Develop long-range goals for yourself, but work on them one day at a time. Learn from the past, be aware of the future, but live in the present.
Lantern Lane Farm. (2019). Ten rules for emotional health. Where Healing Happens. Mt. Juliet, TN.