It is Monday morning and you just drank the last sip of coffee in your mug. Now, your tummy is growling…
What do you do?
Pick up your mug and make a Veggie Flax Muffin!
The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for the vegetable group is 3 – 5 servings. To meet this need, consume 1 – 2 vegetable servings at each meal.
Start your day by adding chopped leafy greens, diced peppers, and sliced sun-dried tomatoes to an egg white omelet or Veggie Flax Muffin.
- 1/2 c. Ground Flax Meal
- 1/3 c. Liquid Egg Whites (or 1 Egg)
- 1 tbsp. Organic, Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp. Hemp Seeds (Chia Seeds or Flax Seeds can be substituted)
- 1/8 – 1/4 c. Chopped Spinach (type of green and amount as desired)
- 1/8 – 1/4 c. Diced Peppers (type of pepper and amount as desired)
- 1/8 c. Sliced Sun-Dried Tomato (optional)
- 1/8 c. Fat-Free Cottage Cheese (optional)
- 1/8 c. Skim, Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
- Small handful of Sliced, Raw Almonds (optional)
- Small handful of Parmesan Cheese (optional)
Add ground flax meal, hemp seeds, raw almond slices, spinach, peppers, and sound-dried tomato to mug. Stir. Add liquid egg whites (or egg), coconut oil, cottage cheese, and shredded mozzarella cheese to the same mug. Thoroughly mix all ingredients until well-blended. If mixture is too “soupy,” add more ground flax meal or spinach. If mixture is too dry, add more liquid egg whites. Place mug inside microwave with a paper towel covering the top. For one muffin, set timer for one minute. For two muffins, set timer for two minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on microwave. Turn mug upside down and shake mug until muffin slips out onto plate. You might need a knife or spoon to loosen the edges to take out the muffin. Cut muffin into slices. Sprinkle some parmesan cheese on muffin slices for added flavor.
What healthy extras would you like to add to this muffin? Please share your ideas!
Already eaten your veggies? For a sweeter muffin, swap the diced veggies for a mashed banana and add a drizzle of honey or (grade B) maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon!