Healthy Recipe of the Week
A New Year. A New You. A Fresh Start!
Let’s start by cleaning out the refrigerator!
Italian ‘Clean-the-Fridge’ Vegetarian Chili
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans
- 1 15-ounce can Kidney Beans
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 – 6 cups Vegetables (chopped) – Whatever you find in your fridge or freezer!
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Vermouth (*cooking sherry or white wine) (*optional)
- 1 15-ounce can Tomatoes (roughly chopped including the juice)
- 3/4 cup Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth (more as needed)
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Basil (*may be substituted for 1 teaspoon dried basil or Italian spices)
- 1 Garlic Clove (minced)
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cumin (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon Fresh Parsley, for garnish
Empty both cans of beans into a colander (or strainer) and rinse well. Next, add the rinsed beans to a large bowl of water and let them soak while you sauté the veggies. *Nutrition tip: rinsing and soaking canned beans removes 30 – 40% of the sodium.
Chop about 5 – 6 cups of your favorite vegetables and sauté with the olive oil.
Add the vermouth (cooking sherry or white wine) and boil uncovered for 1 – 2 minutes. *Recipe tip: This step can deepen the flavor. Next, add all other ingredients, including the rinsed and drained beans, spices, and vegetable broth. *Recipe tip: add more broth if you prefer a soupier chili.
Simmer the chili for about 40 – 45 minutes. *Recipe tip: the chili gets better and better the longer it sits!
Yields: 8 servings
Per serving: 124 Calories. 4g Total Fat. 1g Saturated Fat. 17g Carbohydrates. 2g Total Sugar (0g Added Sugar). 6g Dietary Fiber. 7g Protein. 360mg Sodium. 332mg Potassium. 42mg Calcium. 0mcg Vitamin D. 2mg Iron.
Tuft’s University. (2021, September 7). Italian clean-the-fridge vegetarian chili. Health & Nutrition Letter: Your Guide to Living Healthier Longer. https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/healthy-eating/recipes/italian-clean-the-fridge-vegetarian-chili/?MailingID=346&st=email&sc=WU20220104-StretchingFor50&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Alcohol+s+Overhyped+Health+Benefits&utm_campaign=WU20220104-StretchingFor50