Healthy Recipe of the Week
Are you craving Mexican food with a hint of Fall?
Let’s combine butternut squash with a classic enchilada!
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion (diced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- ½ Jalapeño (seeded and diced)
- 3 cups Butternut Squash (1/2-inch diced)
- ½ bunch Kale (stemmed and finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 6 Corn Tortillas (cut into strips)
- 2 cups Enchilada Sauce (prepared)
- 1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
Heat the olive oil over medium-heat in an oven proof skillet. Add the onion and sauté until softened, (about 5 – 8 minutes). Add garlic and jalapeño and cook for 1 – 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally until tender but still firm. Add the kale, black beans, tortilla pieces, and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer until heated through. Sprinkle with the cheese, evenly over the top. If desired, place the skillet under the broiler for about 3 – 5 minutes to melt the cheese and crisp the edges. Serve topped with cilantro and Greek yogurt.
Yields: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
YMCA. (2020, August 24). Recipe: Butternut squash and black bean enchilada skillet. YMCA of Greater Seattle Blog. https://www.seattleymca.org/blog/recipe-butternut-squash-and-black-bean-enchilada-skillet?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=COVID-19-Healthy-Living&utm_term=butternut-squash&fbclid=IwAR0y1FZuCHJ5Vc5IiTjhiduqTQBcH1z3MutWRJ_eymXY22nKMi99FObotlk