Healthy Recipe of the Week
Are you in the mood for a lighter Thanksgiving dinner option?
Are you seeking a recipe for all the turkey leftovers?
Are you craving a warm winter soup?
Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Sweet Onion (chopped)
- 2 medium Carrots (chopped)
- 3 Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 8 ounces Mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 4 tablespoons Flour
- 6 cups Turkey Stock (*may substitute with vegetable stock)
- 1 tablespoon Tamari Sauce (*may substitute with soy sauce)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ cup Dried Wild Rice
- 2 ½ cups Leftover Turkey (chopped)
- ¼ cup Half and Half
- 1 tablespoon FreshThyme Leaves
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Heat olive oil over medium-heat. Add onion, carrots, celery and mushrooms and sauté until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic and stir for one (1) minute. Add flour and stir until lightly golden brown. Add stock (of choice), tamari (or soy) sauce, bay leaf and wild rice. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in turkey, half and half, thyme, salt and pepper and serve.
Yields: 4 servings
YMCA. (2022, October 19). Recipe: Turkey and wild rice soup. YMCA of Greater Seattle Blog. https://www.seattleymca.org/blog/recipe-turkey-and-wild-rice-soup?utm_source=targeted-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=member-newsletter&utm_term=Nov_15_2022&utm_content=recipe-turkey-and-wild-rice-soup-lp