Healthy Recipe of the Week
Italian Caprese Avocado Toast
Enjoy with breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack!
- 1 medium Avocado (coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil Leaves (finely sliced)
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain or whole-wheat bread (toasted) (*Try Ezekiel Sprouted Whole Grain Bread!)
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup Fat-Free Mozzarella Cheese (shredded) (*Try Almond Cheese for dairy-free, vegan option)
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar
In a small bowl, using a fork, mash the avocado. Gently stir in the basil and black pepper. Spread the avocado mixture on each slice of toast. Top with the tomatoes cut side down. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the tomatoes. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
To melt the mozzarella cheese, place the bread slices with the avocado mixture, tomatoes, and cheese on top under a broiler for 1 – 2 minutes, or until the mozzarella has melted and browned.
If the avocado is ripe but still too firm, process the flesh with the basil leaves in a food processor or blender.
Yields: 4 servings
Per serving (1 slice): 188 Calories. 8.5g Total Fat. 1.5g Saturated Fat. 0g Trans Fat. 1g Polyunsaturated Fat. 5.5g Monounsaturated Fat. 1mg Cholesterol. 177mg Sodium. 22g Carbohydrates. 6g Sugar. 8g Protein. 7g Fiber.
American Heart Association. (n.d.). Italian caprese avocado toast. Recipes. https://recipes.heart.org/en/recipes/italian-caprese-avocado-toast?utm_source=healthy+for+good+fy+2122&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Healthy%20For%20Good%20-%2051122&utm_content=Recipe+cta