Healthy Recipe of the Week
Savory Mushroom Barley
A simple, healthful, and delicious side dish that can be prepped and served in 20 minutes!
*Exact Savory Mushroom Barley Recipe not pictured.
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 sprig Thyme or Rosemary
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms of any type (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 cups Cooked Barley (*may be substituted for Wheat Berries, Farro, or Wild Rice)
In a large pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Sauté the garlic, carrot, tomato paste, and thyme (or rosemary) until the tomato paste starts to darken (about 2 -3 minutes).
Add the mushrooms and soy sauce. Cook until the mushrooms start to brown (about 3 – 5 minutes). Remove and discard the thyme (or rosemary) stem. Stir in the barley (or similar alternative) and heat through (about 1 minute).
Yields: 4 servings
Per Serving (3/4 cup); 180 calories. 7g Total Fat. 1g Saturated Fat. 27g Carbohydrates. 4g Fiber. 2g Total Sugar. 0g Added Sugar. 4g Protein. 160mg Sodium.
Visit Nutrition Action for more Simple Savory Sides!
Chef Kate. (2021, October). The healthy cook: Simply savory. Nutrition Action.