Carrot Ginger Orange Soup
Serves 8 – 12 (3 quarts)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (ground)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (grated)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 pounds Carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 Sweet Potato (peeled and chopped)
- 5 cups Vegetable Broth (more as desired)
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice (more as desired)
- Salt and Pepper (amount as desired)
- Cilantro, garnish (finely chopped) (optional)
In a heavy stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent (approximately 5 minutes), stir occasionally.
Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, ginger, and cayenne pepper. Continue cooking until the onion is soft.
Stir in the carrots, sweet potato, and vegetable broth. Cover and simmer until the carrots are very tender (approximately 20 minutes). Using an immersion blender, or in batches using a stand blender, puree the soup until smooth.
Stir in the orange juice. For a thinner consistency, add more orange juice, vegetable broth, or water. Adjust the spices as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each serving with chopped cilantro or almond slivers.
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Fat: 2 grams
Saturated Fat: 0 grams
Cholesterol: 0 grams
Sugar: 6 grams
Sodium: 243 milligrams