- Reduce risk of Coronary Heart Disease and Stroke
- Lower Blood Pressure (BP)
- Lower Blood Sugar Levels (glucose)
- Reduce risk of Osteoporosis
- Reduce risk of Breast and Colon Cancer
- Reduce risk of Type II Diabetes (non-insulin dependent)
- Improve Mental Well-Being!
Ways to Fit Walking into A Busy Day
- Park your car in the spot farthest from the entrance (to the store or work) – Or, even better, walk to the store or work!
- Choose the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Add a 10 minute “walking appointment” to your calendar each day (eg. lunch break, after dinner).
- Schedule business meetings as “walking meetings” – Go far a walk instead of sit in a conference room!
American Heart Association. (2014). Why Walking?http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/PhysicalActivity/Walking/Why-Walking_UCM_461770_Article.jsp Accessed on May 24, 2015.