Apple Lime Vinaigrette
10 oz. Kale (spines removed and coarsely chopped into about 1 in. pieces)
1/2 – 1 c. uncooked Quinoa
2 c. shredded Carrots
1/2 large Fuji Apple (chopped into 3/4 in. cubes)
1/4 c. sliced Almonds (toasted)
1/2 c. grated Fuji Apple (about 1/2 of a large apple)
Zest of one (1) Lime
Juice of one (1) Lime
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 c. Rice Vinegar
2 tsp. Sesame Oil
1/4 c. Canola Oil
2 tbsp. Organic Coconut Sugar
1 Jalapeño Pepper (seeded and finely diced)
- Place washed and chopped kale into a large rectangular container with lid.
- Rinse quinoa under cold water and cook in a rice cooker with 2/3 c. water on quick cook or follow package instructions and cook on stove top. After cooked, cool and add to kale.
- Add shredded carrots. Set aside.
- Grate 1/2 of the Fuji Apple, which will yield about 1/2 c. of grated apple and juice. Add lime zest and juice. Add salt, rice vinegar, sesame oil, canola oil, and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add vinaigrette mixture to kale, quinoa, and carrot mixture. Close lid and shake to combine all ingredients. Or, vinaigrette can be stored in separate container and mixed when salad is served.
- Tip: Save lime after juicing and rub the lime on the remaining half of the apple to prevent browning. Wrap apple tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Place container in refrigerator and let sit overnight. Occasionally toss or shake the container to help mix the contents.
- The next day, chop the remaining half of the apple. Add apple and almonds to salad and mix to combine.
- Tip: If in a hurry, the salad can be made in the morning and ready to eat for dinner on the same day.