Healthy Recipe of the Week
Sweet and Sour Winter Salad
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar (*may be substituted for regular vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons Whole-Grain Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Maple Syrup (*may be substituted for honey or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon Reduced-Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcester-shire Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 cups Shredded Cabbage (purple and/or green)
- 4 cups Torn Kale Leaves (*may be substituted for baby kale)
- 1 Apple (cored and thinly sliced) (*Pink Lady or Honey Crisp recommended for a sweet-tart taste)
- 1/4 cup Sunflower Seeds (roasted and salted)
*For a dazzling mix, use a sweet apple (eg. Fuji or Gala) for half and a tart apple (eg. Granny Smith) for the other half!
To make the salad dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, soy sauce, and Worcester-shire sauce, and salt.
Toss the cabbage and kale with the dressing. Add half of the apples and sunflower seeds an toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Scatter the remaining apples and sunflower seeds on top.
Yields: 4 servings
Per Serving (1 1/2 cups): 160 Calories. 11g Total Fat. 1.5g Saturated Fat. 15g Carbohydrates. 3g Fiber. 9g Total Sugar. 1g Added Sugar. 3g Protein. 280mg Sodium.
Do you want some cooking advice?
Email Chef Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you crave ideas of more healthy winter salads?
Go to nutrition action.com/salads. Search Crunchy Brussels Salad and Broccoli & Lentil Salad.
Chef Kate. (2021 December). The healthy cook: How sweet (and sour) it is. Nutrition Action Health Letter.