Healthy Recipe of the Week
Squash, Corn, and Black Bean Salad
- 2 1/2 cup Butternut Squash (diced)
- 1 1/2 cup Corn Kernels (2 ears fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (divided)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt (to taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 cup Wild Rice (may substitute with Quinoa, Farro, or similar)
- 1 15-ounce can Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 juice of a Lime
- 4 ounces Queso Fresco (may substitute with Feta Cheese) (crumbled or diced)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper (to taste)
Preheat oven to 425°F. Toss the butternut squash and the corn kernels with one (1) tablespoon of the olive oil, salt, and chili powder. Spread the seasoned vegetables in a thin layer over a parchment-line baking sheet. Bake for 25 – 35 minutes (or until golden brown), tossing halfway through.
While the vegetables are baking, cook the wild rice (or quinoa, farro, or similar) according to the package instructions. Drain off any excess water.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked wild rice (or quinoa, farro, or similar) with the roasted corn and butternut squash. Add the black beans, black pepper, lime juice, queso fresco (or feta cheese), and the remaining one (1) tablespoon of olive oil.
Taste and adjust seasoning (salt and black pepper) if necessary.
Divide into four (4) portions and serve warm or chilled.
Yields: 4 servings
Per serving: 470 Calories; 15g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 69g Total Carbohydrate; 7g Total Sugars (0g Added); 13g Dietary Fiber; 20g Protein; 530mg Sodium; 1004mg Potassium; 253mg Calcium; 1mcg Vitamin D; 4mg Iron
Tufts University. (2020, October 20). “Three sisters” squash, corn, & black bean salad. Health & Nutrition Letter: Your Guide to Living Healthier Longer. https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/healthy-eating/recipes/three-sisters-squash-corn-black-bean-salad?MailingID=155&st=email&sc=WU20201215-Sub&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Sustainable+Eating%3A+The+Key+to+a+Healthy+Future&utm_campaign=WU20201215-Sub