Healthy Recipe of the Week
Chili with Wheat Berries and Beans
- 1 28-ounce can Fire-Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 14.5-ounce can Low-Salt Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 3 Garlic Cloves (pressed)
- 2 large Poblano Peppers (cut into 1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Wheat Berries
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro
- 1 15.5-ounce can Low-Sodium Red Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15.5-ounce can Low-Sodium Black Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 Jalapeño (sliced) (*for serving)
- 1/2 Lime (for serving)
- *Kitchen twine for cilantro
In a slow cooker, combine tomatoes (and their juices), chili powder, cumin, coriander, and 3/4 cup water.
Stir in garlic cloves, poblano peppers, onion, wheat berries, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Reserve one (1) cup cilantro leaves, then tie the rest with kitchen twine and add to slow cooker. Cook, covered, until wheat berries are tender but still chewy (about 5 to 6 hours on High or 7 to 8 hours on Low).
Ten (10) minutes before serving, gently stir in red kidney and black beans.
Divide among bowls and top with the reserved cilantro leaves and jalapeño slices (if desired). Serve with lime wedges.
Makes four (4) servings.
Total Preparation: 6 hours 20 minutes
Per Serving: 423 Calories; 1.5g Fat (0g Saturated Fat); 22.5g Protein; 981mg Sodium; 83g Carbohydrates; 12.5g Sugar (0g Added Sugar); 23g Fiber
Women’s Health. (2020, October). Mood food: Plant-based meals that will make you happy.