Here is a martial-arts-infused warm-up circuit meeting all 5 kinetic checkpoints from head to toe!
Increase your circulation, dynamic flexibility, and range of motion
Connect your body and mind
Head and Cervical Spine
- Place your hands at your hips and move your head 2 – 3 repetitions in each plane of motion: forward/backward (sagittal plane), side to side (frontal plane), and rotating to left and right (transverse plane).
- Place your feet hip-width apart, and elevate and depress your shoulders 2 – 3 repetitions with your breath.
- Swing your arms in circles, 2 – 3 small circles and 2 – 3 large circles in each direction.
- Clasp hands over your head, lean back slightly, and open your chest. Rise up and rotate to the left, bend forward at your hips. Return to center and repeat on right side. Perform 8 repetitions, 4 on each side.
- Place your feet together and cross your arms in front of your chest. Slowly bend forward at your hips and rise up. Perform 8 repetitions.
Lumbo-Pelvic-Hip Complex (LPHC)
- Place your feet hip-width apart, and circle your hips/trunk 4 repetitions in each direction.
- March in place with high knees for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Add opposite elbow to opposite knee movement for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Perform single-leg balance reach, 8 repetitions on each side:
Foot and Ankle
- Stand on one leg, and rotate your ankle 8 repetitions, changing direction after 4. Repeat on other side.
IDEA Health and Fitness Association. Accessed at http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/sample-warm-up-cool-martials-arts-moves?utm_source=Fit+Tips+October+2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=October+Dynamic+-+NonMember+%281%29 on October 11, 2013.
(2012). Assessments, Training Concepts, and Program Design. In M.A. Clark, S. C. Lucett, & B.G. Sutton (Eds.), NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training (pp. 127 & 238). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williamns & Wilkins.