Healthy Recipe of the Week
Spaghetti with Kale, Chickpeas, and Crispy Garlic
- 8 Garlic Cloves (divided)
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 ounces Whole-Wheat Spaghetti (may substitute with lentil or vegetable-based pasta)
- 1 Large Shallot (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoons Red Pepper Flakes (crushed)
- 1 15-ounce can Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) (drained and rinsed)
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale (stems removed and leaves chopped)
- 1 Lemon (zested and juiced)
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded) (may substitute with cheese of choice)
Thinly slice six (6) of the garlic cloves and chop the other two. Set aside separately. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat and add sliced garlic in an even layer. Cook, stirring continuously for about two (2) minutes (or until lightly golden brown). Remove from heat and use a slotted spoon to transfer garlic to a paper towel-lined plate, keeping the oil in the skillet.
Cook spaghetti (or pasta of choice) according to package directions. *Reserve one (1) cup of the cooking liquid before draining. Return to the skillet with the reserved olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot, red pepper flakes, and the remaining two (2) chopped garlic cloves, stirring for one (1) minute.
Add chickpeas, kale, and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. *Cook until kale has wilted.
Add the spaghetti (or pasta of choice) and lemon juice to the pan and toss to combine.
Add ½ cup of the pasta water and toss again.
Add the parmesan and toss again. *Add a little more pasta water if needed.
Serve garnished with crispy garlic slices and a bit more parmesan cheese, if desired.
Yields: 6 servings
YMCA. (2022, March 28). Recipe: Spaghetti with kale, chickpeas, and crispy garlic. YMCA of Greater Seattle Blog. https://www.seattleymca.org/blog/recipe-spaghetti-kale-chickpeas-and-crispy-garlic?utm_source=targeted-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=member-newsletter&utm_term=May_3_2022&utm_content=recipe-spaghetti-kale-chickpeas-and-crispy-garlic-lp
One response to “Foodie Friday”
[…] Foodie Friday — Train for Life […]