The 2014 Winter Olympics have begun!
Here are 3 Olympian-inspired exercises to kick off your weekend:
- Be a Pro-Skier!
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width. Step your right leg behind your left leg and lower into a squat position. Step your right leg behind your left leg only as far as your leg and hip mobility will allow, keeping your hips squared. Maintain a tall torso and engage your abdominals for the duration of this movement. Return to the starting position, and perform movement on other side.
Lateral Ski Jumps
- Ski Jumping is Your Sport!
- Stand with your feet at shoulder width, toes pointing forward. Bend your arms slightly at the elbow and hold your elbows near the sides of your body. Align your head with your spine and focus on a point directly in front of you. Lower into a squat position, slightly hinging forward at your hips and maintaining a straight spine. While engaging your core, push off from both feet equally. Jump to your right, landing on both feet with your knees bent. Push off immediately and jump to your left. Pump your arms upward as you lift and lower your arms as you land. Continue movement for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Don’t Neglect Your Upper Body!
- Place your hands on a box, bench, or step – or any other raised stable object. Lower your body until your chest nearly touches the bench. Pause for 1 to 2 seconds and push up to the starting position. Perform 10 to 20 repetitions.
Ready… Set… Go!
Let the games begin!
Global Fit Blog (2014). “An Olympically-charged Workout.” doi: https://globalfit.com/blog/. Accessed on February 6, 2014.