Healthy Recipe of the Week
Do you remember the iconic comfort food, Marie Callender Restaurant’s Chicken Pot Pie?
Try a homemade option with a healthier twist!
Slow-Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour (divided)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves (*may substitute for 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme)
- 1 3/4 tablespoons Poultry Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 3 pounds Skinless, Boneless Chicken Thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Avocado Oil (divided)
- 2 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Carrots (sliced) (*3 medium-sized)
- 1 1/2 cups Celery (sliced) (*3 stalks)
- 1 cup Leeks (chopped) (*3 medium-sized) OR 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 1 cup Fresh Mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- 1 cup Milk of choice
- 1/2 15-ounce package (1 crust) refrigerated pie crust
In a large resealable bag, combine 1/4 cup flour, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Add chicken pieces, half at a time, shaking bag to coat chicken.
Heat one (1) tablespoon of the oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the chicken, cook about 5-minutes or until brown, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the chicken to 5 – 6 quart slow-cooker.
Repeat with the remaining one (1) tablespoon of oil and the remaining chicken.
Add the chicken broth, carrots, celery, leeks or onion, and mushrooms to the chicken in the slow-cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 6 – 7 hours OR on high for 3 – 3 1/2 hours.
If using low, turn to high. Stir in frozen peas.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of flour and the milk. Stir into mixture in the slow-cooker. Cover and cook for about 30-minutes or until thickened.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450°F. Press or roll pie crust into a 11-inch circle. Cut into eight (8) wedges. Please wedges on an un-greased large baking sheet. Prick each wedge several times with a fork. Bake for 8 – 9 minutes or until light brown.
To serve, top each serving of chicken mixture with a baked pie-crust wedge.
Yields: 8 servings
Better Homes & Gardens (2014, January 14). Slow cooker pot pie. https://www.bhg.com/recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-pot-pie/