Healthy Recipe of the Week
Does the busy holiday season have you strapped for time to prep a healthy, nutritious meal?
Try American Heart Association’s hearty, no-cook salad, which is loaded with vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and fiber-rich!
Black-Eyed Pea, Corn, and Rice Salad
- (2) 15-ounce cans Black-eyed Peas (no salt added, rinsed and drained)
- (1) 15.25-ounce can Whole-kernel Corn (no salt added)
- (1) 8.8-ounce pouch Brown Rice (cooked) (*may substitute with 1 cup instant brown ricecooked without salt and margarine)
- 2 ribs of Celery (chopped)
- 1 medium Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped) (*may substitute with 1 tablespoon dried parsley)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice (*may substitute with vinegar of choice)
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
In a large bowl, toss together the black-eyed peas, corn, rice, celery, and bell pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, water, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat.
Yields: 6 servings
Per serving: 231 Calories. 10g Protein. 7g Fiber. 4g Total Fat. 0.5g Saturated Fat. 0g Trans Fat. 0mg Cholesterol. 62mg Sodium. 6g Sugar.
American Heart Association. (n.d.) Black-eyed pea, corn, and rice salad. Recipes.