Healthy Recipe of the Week
A classic Moroccan chicken dish!
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 pounds Bone-in, Skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts
- 1 large Onion (chopped)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Ginger (grated)
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Paprika (may be substituted with Curry Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander (may be substituted with Curry Powder)
- 3 Carrots (chopped)
- 1/2 pound Small Zucchini (chopped)
- 2 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
In a large heavy pot, heat one (1) tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until simmering. Sauté the chicken until browned (2 – 3 minutes per side). Remove from pot.
Add the remaining two (2) tablespoons olive oil. Sauté the onion until lightly browned (3 – 5 minutes). Stir in garlic, ginger, tomato paste, and spices. Cook, stirring, for one (1) minute.
Add the carrots, zucchini, (chicken or vegetable) stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Reduce the heat to low. Return the chicken with any juices to the pot. Cover and gently braise until the chicken is full cooked (20 – 30 minutes).
Season with lemon juice, salt, and black pepper.
Makes 4 servings.
Per Serving (2 cups): 340 calories. 17g total fat. 3g saturated fat. 14g carbohydrates. 3g fiber. 6g total sugar. 0g added sugar. 35g protein. 460mg sodium.
Pair this dish with next week’s Foodie Friday recipe: Bulgar Tabouli
For a vegetarian option to this meal, try Vegetarian Chickpea Tagine.
NAH Editorial Staff. (2021, January 22). Bulgar tabouli. Nutrition Action Health Letter. https://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/healthy-recipes/the-healthy-cooks-chicken-or-chickpea-tagine/