Healthy Recipe of the Week
The air is crisp. The days are shorter.
A Fall soup to warm yourself inside and out.
Harvest Squash and Mushroom Soup
- 3 cups Cooked Butternut Squash (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons Grass-fed Butter (may substitute for coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup Onion (diced)
- 2 cloves Crushed Garlic
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon Ginger (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 8 ounces Mushrooms (diced)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Sherry Wine (optional)
- Your Choice of Yogurt, Milk, or Cream
- Toasted Almonds
If using fresh squash, preheat oven to 375° F. Split squash in half lengthwise and place face down in a pan of water. Cook in oven for 30 minutes.
If using frozen squash, heat in a saucepan on medium high until warmed through.
Sauté onions, garlic, salt, and spices in melted butter (or coconut oil) until very soft. Add water if it sticks. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Puree mixture in a high-powered blender, adding water or chicken stock if too thick.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt and toasted almonds sprinkled on top.