Healthy Recipe of the Week
Leaves changing color
Weather becoming cooler, and
Days getting shorter…
Fall is in the air!
Wild Rice & Fall Fruit Salad
- 1/2 cup Wild Rice
- 1/2 cup Wheat Berries
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Scallions (thinly sliced)
- 1 Gala, Mac, Fuji, or Other Crisp, Tart-Sweet Apple (diced)
- 1/4 cup Pear (diced and dried)
- A Few Baby Arugula Leaves
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Stir in the wild rice and wheat berries. Boil until tender (about 25 – 35 minutes). Drain well. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, and salt. Stir in the grains, scallions, apple, and pear. Garnish with arugula.
Per serving (1/4 cup): 180 calories; 5 grams total fat; 0.5 grams saturated fat; 32 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 8 grams total sugar; 0 grams added sugar; 4 grams protein; 170 milligrams sodium
Sherwood, K. (2017). The Healthy Cook: A little bit on the side. Nutrition Action Health Letter, November Issue. Pg. 12.