Healthy Recipe of the Week
Attention Non-Meat Eaters: A Protein-Packed Burger for You!
Hazelnut (or Almond) & Bean Burger
- 1 ½ cup Hazelnuts or Almonds (crushed)
- 1 cup Tomatoes (canned)
- 1 ½ cup Cooked Kidney or Pinto Beans
- 2 cups Breadcrumbs (extra as needed)
- 1 tablespoon Tahini
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Burger Buns (may substitute for iceberg lettuce for a low-carbohydrate alternative)
- To Garnish: lettuce leaves, tomato slices, onion slices, dill pickles, and your favorite sauces!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Using a food processor or high-speed blender, process all ingredients to a smooth puree. Divide the mixture into 4 (four) equal portions, and form each portion into a patty. If the mixture is too wet, add more breadcrumbs. Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes (or until well cooked). Split the burger buns. Make a bed of salad leaves, tomato slices, onion slices, and/or dill pickles on the bottom half of each bun, and place a patty on top. Top the burger with your favorite healthy sauces and cover with the top of the bun. Enjoy!
Kadey, M. (2016). Hazelnut & Bean Burger. IDEA Fitness Journal, v14, i6. doi: http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/hazelnut-bean-burger?utm_source=publications+july+2017+ifnt&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=IFNT+July+2017+%281%29+C Accessed on July 27, 2017.