Healthy Recipe of the Week
BBQ Jackfruit Pulled “Pork”
- 1 8-ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons Molasses
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 large Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 small Red Onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 14-ounce cans Green Jackfruit in brine or water (not syrup) (rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1/4 small Red Cabbage (cored and thinly sliced)
- 8 bread rolls (split and toasted) (or bread of choice)
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- Sliced Avocado, for serving
In a slow cooker, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, molasses, chili powder, 3/4 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir in jackfruit, garlic cloves, and all but 1/4 cup red onion into the sauce. Cover and cook on High until very tender (3 to 4 hours).
Ten (10) minutes before serving, whisk together lime juice, honey, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Toss remaining red onion and cabbage with the lime dressing (to create a cabbage slaw).
Using two (2) forks, gently break up the jackfruit. Divide jackfruit among the bread rolls and top with the avocado. Fold cilantro into the cabbage slaw and spoon on top.
Makes 8 servings.
Total Preparation: 3 hours 20 minutes
Per serving: 335 calories; 10g fat (1.5g saturated fat); 8g protein; 714mg sodium; 54.5g carbohydrates; 12.5g sugar (8g added sugar); 12g fiber
Women’s Health. (2020, October). Mood food: Plant-based meals that will make you happy.