Energy Boosting Foods to Keep You Alert from 9AM – 5PM
High Fiber Cereal
- Jaimie Davis, PhD, RD, who is a research associate at USC found that eating a high carbohydrate, high fiber breakfast produces the highest level of alertness during the middle of the day.
Whole Grain Crackers with Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
Whole Wheat Toast with Nut Butter of Choice
- The complex carbohydrates found in whole grains digest at a slower rate than that of simple carbohydrates, which controls the increase in blood glucose levels and keeps you feeling full for longer.
- Always pair a protein source with a complex carbohydrate, such as the snacks listed above!
Juicy, Antioxidant-rich Berries
- Snack on berries to feel energized while reducing oxidative stress, which can lead to symptoms of early aging and disease.
The Right Energy Bar
- Choose an energy bar with the least artificial ingredients.
- If the list of ingredients is similar to a recipe that you can easily prepare at home, buy it!
- If the list of ingredients resembles a science experiment, set it down and find a more natural bar!
- Try an Organic Sesame Bumble Bar or a dotBAR
What is your favorite health bar?