Healthy Recipe of the Week
Butternut Squash and Kale Pizza
A vegetarian pizza perfect for the Autumn months!
- 1 pound Pizza Dough (refrigerated or frozen, thawed)
- 3 ounces Gruyère Cheese (may substitute for extra sharp cheddar cheese) (coarsely grated)
- 1 small Butternut Squash (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 small Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 teaspoons Fresh Rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 bunch Tuscan Kale (stems discarded, leaves chopped)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cornmeal for baking sheet (may substitute for parchment paper)
- Flour for surface
Heat oven to 475°F. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal or line with parchment paper. On a lightly floured surface, shape pizza dough into a large oval and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese.
Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash. Working over a bowl, use the peeler to shave ribbons from top to bottom, rotating every few peels. Shave about half of the squash. *Remainder can be reserved for another use of choice.
With peeler, remove three (3) strips of zest from the lemon; thinly slice the zest. Add to the bowl of squash ribbons. Add the red onion and rosemary to the same bowl. Toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon each). Fold in the kale.
Scatter vegetable mixture over the pizza dough and bake until the crust is deep golden brown and squash is tender (about 10 to 15 minutes).
Makes four (4) servings.
Total Preparation: 25 minutes
Per serving: 476 Calories; 17g Fat (5g Saturated Fat); 15g Protein; 1,289mg Sodium; 64.5g Carbohydrates; 2.5g Sugar (0g Added Sugar); 5g Fiber
Women’s Health. (2020, October). Mood food: Plant-based meals that will make you happy.