Healthy Recipe of the Week
Quinoa Tabbouleh with Broccoli
- 1 cup Red, White, and/or Black Quinoa (uncooked)
- 2 cup Water or Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1.5 cup Bite-Size Broccoli Florets (about 1 bunch, trimmed or frozen)
- 1 zest from Lemon
- 3 tablespoons Juice of 1 Lemon
- 3 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Red Onion (minced)
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Fresh Cherry or Grape Tomatoes (diced)
- 3/4 cup Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Mint (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 1 dash Sea Salt (to taste)
- 1 dash Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 handful Sunflower Seeds of Pine Nuts (optional)
*Quinoa replaces the bulgar wheat, which is used in this tradition Mediterranean dish. This naturally gluten-free recipe provides complete plant protein.
Rinse quinoa and combine with water or broth in a 2 to 3 quart saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Stir quinoa and set aside to cool.
Blanch broccoli in boiling water for 2 minutes. Remove from water and place into an ice bath to stop cooking. Drain thoroughly.
In a large bowl, whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, red onion, and red pepper flakes. Stir in tomato, parsley, mint, basil, quinoa, and broccoli.
Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with optional seeds or nuts, if using. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Serves 6 (1 cup) servings.
Nutrition Information: Per serving (without seeds/nuts)
Calories: 183; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0g; Sodium: 29mg; Total Carbohydrates: 22g; Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 5g.
Tufts University. (2018, August 16). Quinoa tabbouleh with broccoli. Health & Nutrition Letter. https://www.nutritionletter.tufts.edu/healthy-eating/recipes/quinoa-tabbouleh-with-broccoli?MailingID=48&st=email&sc=WU20200512-HealthyAgingDiet&utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=How+Our+Food+Affects+the+Environment&utm_campaign=WU20200512-HealthyAgingDiet